Grateful Dead Live at Berkeley Community Theater on 1984-10-31
- Live concert
- Grateful Dead
- DeadLists Project
Source: AUD (Sennheiser 441) > CM > CDR > WAV > SHN. Thanks to Dr. B.Fried for the cassette masters.
Original SHN conversion by Mike Lai.
Note- This is a re-seed of previous seed by C Ladner; See info file for details
- 2004-07-08 14:59:59
- Berkeley, CA
Subject: Fun Show
Subject: The Mysterious Asterisks Explained
@GeoSon: The asterisks are for Matt Kelly who is playing harmonica with the band on those tracks.
In a related way, here's a video of the 85-3-25 Nassau show where Mickey throws at least three! drumsticks at Matt Kelly!
I have no idea what that's all about, but it's a thing that happened.
Subject: bread crumb
Jerrys reading of the lyrics in ship of Fools seemed to be a comment on the upcoming reelection of ronald Reagan.
And, how, pray tell, did you come to that conclusion? Other than personal desire for that to be the case. Show me one instance of Jerry taking an interest in politics past 1970...
Subject: lazy isn't sloppy
Subject: Under rated show
Highlights of this show for me were many.
1. Jerry does a great doubletime in Big River and this was the best version of a song I had seen the Dead play many many times.
2. Matt Kelly actually found a place to fit in and seemed comfortable in the band that night. Compare the songs he plays on to his appearance earler in the year on 7/14 and you should see what I mean.
3. Big Railroad Blues, Lazy Lightning, a killer Shakedown and ramble on Rose all in the first set. Minglewood was much better with the addition of Matt Kelly.
4. I ain't superstitious. This is absolutely the best version of this song I have heard and it was a big surprise coming out of nowhere in the middle of I need a miracle for the first time played. Also it is a perfect Halloween song
5. Morning Dew. Always one of my favorites. Jerrys reading of the lyrics in ship of Fools seemed to be a comment on the upcoming reelection of ronald Reagan.
6. One more Halloween night. Jokingly, on the plane ride out I said maybe they will play "One more Halloween night" Boy was I surprised.
7. Satisfaction. Bob changed into a white sequined shirt before the encore "how white my shirt should be" Earlier in the show Bob wore a tie dye and Bunny ears. Not something you saw Bob do in the 80's.
8. The balloons popping during drums and space added a real omniphonic aura at the show. at one point you can hear Mickey playing with a balloon and letting gas out into a microphone.
9. The security guard from the Dead movie was working out front that night. "Go on in and enjoy the show"
10. Final note. I was sure after One more Halloween night that they would encore with Werewolves of London even though it had not been played in years. Bob's white shirt joke trumped me but the very next year on Halloween they opened with space-> Werewolves
I would love to see a soundboard or a Dicks picks release of this show.
Subject: one more halloween night
Uploaded by Jonathan Aizen on